Tuesday, January 25, 2011

First day of class

We had class Tuesday morning at the BIS institute (that might be wrong) on Kottbusser Damm. Maggie and I took the U-8 down there and on the way got some passport pictures of ourselves for the student ID's (mine looks alright). While waiting for an other tram we witnessed a theft; a tall, skinny guy (17 y/o?) with black hair nabbed a guys bag from under his arm and ran off. There was a brief and exciting chase scene; the guy wasn't as fast, but the kid tripped running up the stairs and it was very close. He got away in the end, but the guy didn't seem too upset, hopefully it wasn't anything particularly important.
Either way, I moved my wallet to my front pocket and carried my bag in front of me the rest of the day. I was assigned to the C-2 class, which is the most advanced one they have at the institute. It was certainly difficult (we nominalized sentences the moment I got there) but I like the classroom and the professor so I hope to not have to move down a level. She's going to give me a summarization of the last course's material so we can both decide where I'm at.
Afterwards the Hampshire group all went together to get cellphones (Handi's, as they're called here). We're using the Fonic network (9 cents a minute, including USA land lines). E-mail me if you want the telephone number.
Maggie and I went grocery shopping on the way back and got a tad bit lost, which turned out to be my fault because I was turned around immediately after getting off the train without realizing it. We got back at 6:00pm (18:00) and went to bed. This morning I woke up at 3:30 am, which is an hour later than yesterday. Slowly but surely my body is adjusting.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes, that sounds exciting. For the most part, as long as you keep a limb hooked through your bag, you'll be fine. Plus, with legs like yours, no one has a prayer of outrunning you. :P
    But hooray for fun classes and handi's and groceries and almost time-adjusted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I said to myself. I wish I had chased after him, but I was definitely not in the frame of mind at the time. Kind of like a cow watches cars drive by; "huh... meh".

    ReplyDelete