Friday, January 21, 2011

First day in Berlin!

My flight from Logan airport to Teigel Airport in Berlin (connecting in London Heathrow) airport left at 6:10 on Thursday evening. I arrived in Germany at 4:30 in the morning East coast time, 10:30 in the morning Berlin time. Robert Sommer, our liaison, met up with me right after stepping out of baggage claim. We took the bus (u-bahn) to the train station, and the train (S-bahn) to a station near my apartment. A ten minute walk later, we arrived and he gave me the keys (which I have attached to my wallet out of fear of losing them) and we checked out the rooms. It has a shower, a toilet, a kitchen (with stove and refrigerator) and a washing machine (for which I am very grateful. As of yet, I am the only person living in the apartment, so I get to enjoy it all to myself for at least a few days.
After a bit of unpacking I fell asleep and woke up at 10:15 pm (or 22:15) Berlin time; so my sleeping schedule is completely screwed up. I hope to stay up all night writing some last minute items for class and unpacking. Tomorrow morning I'll go check out the area near my apartment and try to buy some detergent, shampoo and conditioner, and some groceries. I'll see about exchanging some dollars for Euros as well. At 8:00 pm (20:00) Lindsay is holding a small party at her apartment, so my adventure for the day will be figuring out the bus/train system well enough to get myself to her place. I'm a bit worried about this, as the gps on my cellphone hasn't been working since I got here and I can't rely on that to take me where I need to go.
I'll follow this post up with a quick tour of my apartment via uploaded video.
German classes start on Tuesday, und ich fülle mich bereit für den nächsten sechts Monaten nür auf Deutsch zu sprechen. (and I feel ready to speak only in German for the next six months)

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad to see you got in okay. For getting around a new town, google maps was always useful for me. Don't stress out too much! You'll know your way around super easily soon. :) And hey, getting lost makes for good stories.
    Love,
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo! Martin.
    Soooooo glad to hear your trip went well.
    Thanks for the video tour of your apartment
    Weekend in Berlin . . . there should be some pretty sensational pastry out there. Please write about your explorations.

    Nyer!

    ReplyDelete